Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou



What better message could we send our leaders,especially as the election quickly approaches and we find ourselves wading through the murky waters of political spin and doublespeak?

These are just a few small examples of the wonderful words of wisdom and insight Angelou offers in Letter to My Daughter. At just 166 pages, this small volume is page-for-page one of the most valuable books I’ve read in a very long time and is the perfect selection for a rainy afternoon. Angelou has lived a long and interesting life, and I’m so grateful that she’s chosen to continue sharing her experiences with us. I hope this won’t be the last time.

Letter to My Daughter is also part of my celebration of Banned Books Week, as Angelou’s first memoir I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is one of the ALA’s most frequently challenged books. And that’s because Maya Angelou is not afraid to expose and discuss the parts of life that are ugly and messy and unpleasant. But she does not revel in them—she pulls herself up, bringing us along with her, and uses the moment as motivation to move on and continue rising.

Letter to My Daughter gets a well-deserved 5 out of 5.

No comments: